Search and rescue operations at sea are highly challenging. Searching vast expanses of ocean looking for vessels in distress or people in the water is time critical and often must be done in hostile sea conditions. Radar is not effective at detecting small objects and visual search is fatiguing and impacted strongly by white caps, sun glare, clouds and other environmental effects.
Kestrel Maritime and ViDAR provide comprehensive solutions for detection of small objects over wide maritime areas against complex sea conditions.
Kestrel Maritime automatically detects objects in electro-optical (EO) and infrared (IR) aerial full motion video (FMV). Kestrel Maritime enhances search and rescue missions, assisting operators and image analysts in:
- Automatically detecting small and large objects on the ocean surface
- Overcoming operator fatigue with persistent, consistent detection performance
- Quickly transforming raw data into actionable intelligence
Combining ultra high-definition optical sensors with onboard automation software, ViDAR (Visual Detection and Ranging) is a light, compact optical equivalent of airborne radar.
- Automatically detects and highlights objects on the sea surface, including small wooden or rubber vessels and people in the water
- Enables cross-cueing of other sensors for interrogation and classification
- Increases search coverage area 80 times over existing EO/IR systems